Thursday, September 28, 2006

What should you do with your life ?

We have all met them. We are them. Them who says," My dream to spend a perfect day would be to sit overlooking a valley in Kenyan forests, high up in a rooftop hut sipping Malibu or kahlua, looking at the Gazelles underneath and listening to the roars of lions & flowing water at a distance.” Funny thing is we never do most of these things even though we can do them!
I had always wanted to be a forest ranger! I wanted to take CAT so that I would study at IIFM Bhopal (Indian Institute of Forest Management) but then made that “Let me make money first and then pursue the dreams” jig. So I went to IIM A and uploaded all wild life movies and safari videos into my comp and enjoyed life. Way things are today, I can afford going to Africa and doing what I wanted at least once a year. But the whole point is that I am not a forest ranger!!! I’m OK overall – cause I’ve a dream job which is fulfilling, intellectually stimulating with a bunch of folks who are fun to work with. But I know of people who are such good photographers or excellent artists who end up writing software codes all their life. People who are as much in love with forests and wildlife treks as I am, ending up selling construction materials in Dubai.
Like an ode to the zillions of us read this article. Nicely written. Must read !

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

IIFM missed you dear.. i did go to IIFM and eventually to Africa as well and loved the stay at IIFM as well as here in Africa..
the story reminds me of many things..

Anonymous said...

I am going to Ghana in six months. I am still saving up for it. Every Penny. It's a self funded volunteer project for which I got placed. Would you like to come? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Suhas.
No never met at PG.but im a 2003 mech CREC.the only interaction we had was probably in the CC playing Descent..neeraj yeshwant..was also there..i think.

Amit Sahai

Suhas Anand said...

Santosh, I can imagine the fun u had :)..i was in african forests for close to a year..in tanzania and kenya :)..

vallath, Id surely like to come :)...but have become too wary of resigning a job to o forest trekking ..hehe..
wafter...its always nice to meet old friends :)..neeraj is in bombay itself btb :)

Anonymous said...

Suhas ,
im far from mumbai at the moment.At UNC-Chapel Hill doing MBA...but would love to meet you guys whenever i happen to be in mumbai.

Amit

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

best site

Anonymous said...

best

Anonymous said...

best

Anonymous said...

best site